- May 29th, 2019
- in Move-In
Sending Packages for Move-In
We understand that move-in can be a very stressful and hectic time for both students and parents. It is our goal to help make move-in a positive experience for everyone involved. We want each student and parent to take comfort in the knowledge that your mail and packages are handled safely and securely from receipt to delivery here at The University of Alabama.
In order to best serve our students, we are providing the following information:
- When can I begin shipping packages to the University for move-in?
Students may begin shipping packages to the Ferguson Mail Center prior to move-in. We recommend shipping items as early as June 1, and no later than mid-July. The sooner your packages arrive, the sooner we can get them processed and ready for you to pick-up when you arrive on campus.
- Is there a limit on how many packages I can send prior to move-in?
Each student should be mindful of the volume of packages sent to campus for move-in. Only ship the necessities. Many items can be purchased in Tuscaloosa or ordered online and shipped to the student after move-in.
- Are there restrictions on the size of packages I can ship to campus?
Campus Mail Service does not accept freight shipments. Packages of excessive weight (50 pounds or more) may be accessed a handling fee. Please contact our office for fee amounts prior to shipping.
- What carriers do you accept?
Campus Mail Service accepts trackable packages from DHL, FedEx, UPS, and the US Postal Service. We do not accept freight shipments or non-trackable packages.
- What address do I use when I send mail and packages to campus?
Use the same address regardless of carrier. Use this address structure exactly:
STUDENT’S FULL NAME
MSC # __ __ __ __ __ __
1831 UNIVERSITY STATION
TUSCALOOSA, AL 35487
Be sure to use the student’s full name. Many students have the same or similar first and last name. Use the student’s correct mailstop code (MSC#). This is extremely important to ensure items are routed to the correct student. Students can access their unique MSC# by clicking here.
Use the students MSC# as Address Line 1 and 1831 UNIVERSITY STATION as Address line 2 when placing online orders.
DO NOT address items to the student’s residence hall or to a University department. Campus Mail Service is not responsible for items that are misrouted or delivered incorrectly because of incorrect or missing address information.
- How do I know if my packages have arrived at the campus and are ready for pick-up?
Campus Mail Service’s internal tracking system will send an e-mail notification to the student’s official University of Alabama e-mail address as soon as a package is ready for pick-up. Detailed instructions are included in the e-mail. Students receive notification for each individual package that we receive. For safety and security reasons, we cannot confirm over the phone whether or not a package has been received at our mail center.
- I received a package receipt notification indicating that my package will be returned if it is not picked up within a certain number of days. Are packages returned to the sender prior to and during the move-in period? Packages at the Ferguson Mail Center prior to Move-In are not returned during the months of June, July, and August. Campus Mail Service’s internal tracking system automatically sends out reminder emails to students who have not picked up their packages. Students should disregard these notifications and simply pick up their packages from the mail center when they arrive on campus.
- What can I do to make the process easier for the mail center staff and more efficient for me? As a courtesy, students may contact the mail center at firstname.lastname@example.org to notify us that you will be shipping packages for move-in. By giving us your full name, MSC #, and move-in information, the mail center team can properly stage your packages for pick up and expedite our processes on the day of your move-in. Our preference is that you reply to your first package notification e-mail so that we can validate your information.
- Please attach this label to packages that you ship to the University of Alabama for Move-In. This label assists our mail center staff with the staging of your packages.
- All students must present their action card and sign for their packages. No parent pick-ups are allowed.
- Where is my package pickup location? During Move-In days, Campus Mail Service will have designated package pickup locations. This service is only provided to each resident on their scheduled Move-In day. In order to ensure that packages are available for pickup on your designated move-in day packages must be received at the mail center on or before July 31. Packages that are not picked up on your scheduled day will return to the Ferguson Mail Center and made available for pick up the following day at noon. To determine your pickup location more details are available on the Housing and Residential Preparing for Move-In site under Package Pickup.